We are excited that you are considering our Graduate Program. We offer admission to the M.S. and Ph.D. programs. The Ph.D. program is intended for students that wish to pursue a research-oriented career, while the M.S. program is intended for students seeking advanced positions in the industry. Admission to the Ph.D. program is more competitive than the M.S. program.
To apply for Graduate Studies in Mechanical Engineering at Stony Brook you must fill out an send online application. You can fill out the application online at Graduate School's web site. Please note that there may be more steps involved than simply filling out the form online. Please note that there are no application fee waivers. Also, when sending the required application documents please include a photocopy of your GRE and TOEFL scores besides having official scores sent.
Admission Requirements for a MS or PhD
- A bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, or related field such as another engineering discipline, a physical science, or mathematics.
- A grade average of at least B or equivalent in all engineering, mathematics and science courses.
- Completion and submission of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test.
- Students who indicate that their first or native language is not English are required to achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 85 for general admission and 90 for admission to a doctoral program and to be eligible for consideration for GA/TA support. Masters students that have completed a degree program from a U.S. institution may be eligible for a TOEFL waiver and need to request the waiver from our Graduate Program Director. All PhD applicants with a TA stipend whose native language is not English must demonstrate a sufficient level of English-speaking proficiency (TOEFL Speaking score) and may be required to take ESL courses based on these measures.
Listed below are the application deadlines associated with the Spring 2013 application year. Please be sure to follow them as listed.
- October 1: Application deadline for all applications and deadline for supplementary materials for international students
Listed below are the application deadlines associated with the Fall 2013 application year. Please be sure to follow them as listed.
- January 15: Application deadline for international students and PhD applicants
- March 1: Deadline for supplementary materials from international students
If you have any questions about these deadlines feel free to contact the department.
All applications must be submitted online. All additional required documents, such as, official transcripts, recommendation letters, etc. must be sent directly to our department.
Please do not put your additional required documentation in any type of binder, portfolio, or report cover.
Mail your application materials to the following address:
Stony Brook University
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Light Engineering, Room 103
Attn: Graduate Program Secretary
Stony Brook, NY 11794-2300
The Graduate School application fee is $100* and is non-refundable. It is required for applicants from all countries.
Admitted Ph.D. students are typically offered financial support in the form of teaching or research assistantships, which include full tuition. Admission into this program is very competitive, though, and you must have the intention of completing this program. M.S. students are typically admitted with no financial aid. Some, however, find such aid through the SPIR program after they arrive on campus. For information about the SPIR program, please contact Prof. Anurag Purwar. Information regarding tuition and other costs can be found from the Graduate School.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please visit this link for answers to frequently asked questions about applying to graduate school.